Free online Urban Playgrounds guide shows people what they’re missing by not visiting urban national parks
GritoBlast! The National Park Foundation is on a mission to get everyone to visit the country’s national parks. To help, they’ve released the new, free, downloadable “Urban Playgrounds” guide profiling 24 national parks in 24 major U.S. cities. The guide provides stunning images, fun facts, ideas for what to do at each park, and how to get there.
As a bonus, the guide also suggests additional National Park Service sites to check out while in the area.
Featuring natural, cultural, and historical parks, and a variety of park experiences, the National Park Foundation’s “Urban Playgrounds” guide highlights the essence of the Find Your Park/Encuentra Tu Parque movement.
* Go for a paddle at Big Thicket National Preserve near Houston, Texas
* Take an evening ferry at Alcatraz Island near San Francisco, California
* Experience the War of 1812 at River Raisin National Battlefield Park near Detroit, Michigan
* Enjoy a bike ride along the water at Mississippi National River and Recreation Area in St. Paul, Minnesota
* Venture to the top of the arch at Jefferson National Expansion Memorial in St. Louis, Missouri
* Learn about America’s labor movement at Pullman National Monument in Chicago, Illinois
* See New York Harbor from Lady Liberty’s crown at Statue of Liberty National Monument in New York, NY
* Admire wildflowers around the lighthouse at Cabrillo National Monument near San Diego, California
* Hike past magnificent vistas on your way to a hidden underground world at Timpanogos Cave National Monument near Salt Lake City, Utah
* Try out waterside camping at Biscayne National Park near Miami, Florida
“Urban Playgrounds” is the sixth special edition in the National Park Foundation’s popular and FREE Owner’s Guide series. When visitors download their copy of the guide, they’ll also have access to other national park guides highlighting great places to stay, romantic destinations, adventures for kids of all ages, and more.